Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Packing

So, I have just about finished packing all our things for shipping purposes. It wasn't too bad and I feel like our volume of possessions is fairly reasonable for a family of 4 and bump. They probably take up around two thirds of a room (excluding the trampoline, playhouse and T.V!) and I have to admit seventy per cent of it belongs to the two smallest members of the family. Why? Other than the books and puzzles, they haven't asked for a thing from their ever growing expanding pile of plastic.



Apparently the Dalai Lama lives with just seven possessions. Studies have shown the less possessions we have the happier we are! Why is it so hard to let go of stuff? I think I can be quite ruthless when it comes to decluttering but I'm no Dalai Lama, that's for sure. Our Western culture constantly feeds us the message of buy more. What is necessary? Sarah Wilson, in her Sunday Herald column made the suggestion that when you think about it, you really don't ever need more that five pair of undies at any one time!!!!   

I am pondering the necessity of most of our items and its giving me a sore head. I think when you have young kids and you spend a LOT of time picking things up you crave simpler living. Empty space is a wonderful thing and so is a clear head. Here's to having less things and fewer headaches....
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...